13 November 2009

Let Me Tell You A Story

I love stories, don't you?
Let me tell you one that will strongly reinforce something you already know, but may need to be reminded about:

A former student was giving helicopter rides at a fly-in at a local airport in the R22.

A 55-or-so year old man approached him and said, "I'd like to buy an hour in the helicopter". My former student said, "I have several people here in line waiting for a ride. If you can wait until 5 O'Clock, I can take you for an hour then."
The gentleman agreed to that arrangement.

He returned promptly at 5 P.M. and my student flew him around the local area...
Over his house and his place of business...
Over several of the area landmarks. My former student, an instructor in his own right by this time, allowed the man to take the controls and showed him how the individual controls affected the machine in flight.

On the ground at the end of the hour my former student turned to the gentleman and asked, "Well, what'd ya think about that?!"
And the man quietly began to cry.
Perplexed, my friend asked him, "Did I do or say something wrong?"

"No, it was wonderful!

I'm a Dentist. There are five chairs at the Dental Center we flew over, and three other Dentists work in my practice there. I've done well. I've worked hard all my life, denying myself vacations and other nice things, saving and looking forward to being able to retire about now. I've always loved helicopters...
Always hoped to learn to fly them and maybe buy one for my personal use. I've just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer... I have just a few months to live, and I now realize I should have done this YEARS ago!"

Then he turned to my former student and through tears looked him squarely in the eye...
"If you have a dream and you have the resources to pursue it, don't procrastinate."

The very next week, my former student purchased a Robinson R44 he had been eyeing for a couple weeks...
And that is money he's never been sorry he spent.

Got a dream you've been putting off "until later"?

Think about my story.

6 comments:

Rita said...

Amen to that. My dad retired in June 1991, was diagnosed with liver cancer in August and passed away just 6 months after he retired, he had just turned 60. This reminds me that I've always wanted to take a helicopter ride. Never been in one.

Capt. Schmoe said...

If that isn't a life lesson, I don't know what is.

Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

What a great story Greybeard...thank you.
I have wanted to fly helicopters since a ride in a 212 at the tender age of 14. now...26 years later, I sit at a desk wishing I was flying. I have a grand total of 1 hour R22 and 6.5 ultralight. Although I wish I could give it all up for a new career, I know that is not reasonable. Perhaps I should buy myself another hour in an R22.

Regards,
Mark

CJ said...

Food for thought, for everyone, and one more push for me. Thanks.

cjh

Greybeard said...

Mark-
The 212? Now THAT'S a HELICOPTER!

Anonymous said...

GB : The 212 is still used extensively in western Canada for heli skiing and water bucketing. The 407 and B3 Astars are slowing replacing it for skiing though.The thump thump of a Bell meduim will never cease to get my heart pumping...best sound in the world!

Regards,
Mark