02 January 2009

I Was Wrong

I hate being wrong. But when I'm wrong I will freely admit it. I think folks notice when you admit you're wrong and that makes you more believeable all the times you're right.

But boy was I ever wrong!
My only comfort is that I bet most aviators will find they'd be wrong on this same issue. See if that's the case, and please... admit you were wrong in the comments!

Here's the deal:
I enjoy good Science Fiction. My son makes his living through various Science Fiction outlets. Together we have watched most of the popular Science Fiction shows, particularly Star Trek (T.O.S., T.N.G., and Voyager), Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica. While Big Bubba was home this weekend we watched a movie he brought along titled
"Sunshine". It was well-acted, well-directed, and the special effects work. You'll recognize Michelle Yeoh and maybe a couple other actors. Those that really enjoy Science Fiction will find "Sunshine" worthwhile.

There is a scene in the movie, similar to a scene in "2001, A Space Odyssey" where humans are exposed to space for several seconds without benefit of a containment suit. I know that at altitudes above something like 60,000 feet your body temperature is high enough to actually cause your blood to boil. So when watching one of these "sans spacesuit" scenes I always howl in disbelief that writers would expect us to believe that situation possible. It has always been my impression your body would explode under those circumstances because your blood would instantly boil and your individual cells would explode.
Wrong-o, old retired ARMY Dude!
Apparently the lack of air as a conduit to transfer heat is one factor... your skin itself acting as a containment vessel is another. Read more facts at the link... they relate a couple scenarios where it's actually happened.

So from now on I'll just shut my mouth on the subject. Were you wrong too?

1 comment:

THIRDWAVEDAVE said...

I was wrong. But I did notice the other day when NASA released the report on Columbia, that one of the pilots was still working the problem after the ship was breaking up. I thought it strange since I believed that once the cabin was opened to the elements, he would've died. I think he worked it for 30 seconds or so.

Thanks for the post, GB. Interesting.

http://thirdwavedave.blogspot.com/2008/12/nasa-releases-report-on-breakup-of.html