01 November 2021

228->190

Climbing the stairs at the Statue of Liberty it hit me square in the face-
I had to stop several times to catch my breath. I'd been in denial about what the scale was telling me. I'm a little over 5'9" and I weighed 228 pounds. Ashamed of myself, I refused to look at my naked body in the mirror. Somewhere at about Ms. Liberty's larynx I promised to get this crap under control.

We started walking.
Two miles daily at first. Then as it became easier... three. Then five.
We walk at almost 3 mph. Three miles per hour is a QUICK walking pace and it takes over an hour to walk five miles. Just walking at that pace was an accomplishment in itself.
Even though I had not changed my diet, the "lubs" started coming off. My pants were literally falling off my hips. I had to buy a belt.

And then at this last visit to the VA my Doc "hit me square in the face" again-
"I'm prescribing insulin for you."

No.
I don't want to do that injection thing.
I have the ability to get this under control.

Thank GOD for YouTube.
There are thousands and thousands of videos there about diabetes and how to manage it. I had heard of the "Keto" diet but never paid much attention to it, thinking it's just a twist to the "Atkins" diet.
And in fact it is. Atkins suggests you limit yourself to 20 grams of carbohydrate daily. Keto would like you to eliminate carbs entirely while admitting that's impossible, but suggests ways to change your eating habits so you don't miss the carbs. The recipes they suggest use Almond flour, Almond milk, Coconut flour, something called "Xanthum Gum", and other, (what seem to me) exotic ingredients. Cauliflower and parsnips are substituted for potatoes, and do a surprisingly good job of keeping cravings for them away.

My scale today reported 190 pounds. I may have to buy another belt.
Sara Jean is beginning to complain about loss of weight in my face. As much as I hate the idea, Botox may be in my future.
(Nevah hoppin, G.I. !)

I'll be 75 on my next birthday. I look at folks scooting around in WalMart on those electric carts and think to myself "I'll bet that guy is younger than me!"
I feel good. And my glucometer is now smiling at me. No injections so far.

And I wish I had paid more attention long ago.

5 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Getting older is a bitch but the alternative isn't attractive, at least to me. Sometimes your body, metaphorically, has to hit you along side the head with a 2x4.

Greybeard said...

Subject of a future blogpost:
We went out to eat at "Chipotle" yesterday because my son loves the place. (I used to love it too.)
Flour tortilla. Rice. Beans. A little "keto friendly" protein. But overall, a killer for the keto diet.
With the number of Baby Boomer diabetics coming down the pike, ALL fast food restaurants would be well served to have a section of their menus devoted to a low carbohydrate section, even at higher prices.
We won't be eating at Chipotle again until the menu changes.

Old NFO said...

Sometimes we just have to be smacked up side the head... sigh But glad things are coming 'back' to form.

Steve said...

Good on ya, if we knew we'd live this long and know what we know now I bet we'd all be a lot healthier.

Gerry said...

Well done.