02 January 2012

I "Assumed".

In many ways I'm still VERY naive.
I have cut back on the number of folks I call close and allow within my "wall".
And among those folks were friends I included in my circle because we share a great deal... assuming we shared political views because we were so much alike in so many other ways.

And then in a discussion about my hope for smaller, more efficient government my friend said "Well, they are trying to help people".
This, from someone who ran a business and knows full well how efficient (not!) government, ANY government is.

Then, the icing on the cake...
In a discussion re: the poor investment decision-making of mutual friends who had lost all of their retirement savings I hear the comment, "Well, government should insure that cannot happen."


I don't want to live in that world.
And I'm VERY uncomfortable with anyone who can even make such statements.

We live in a world where "Jersey Shore" and "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" are top-rated TV shows.
With that in mind, why are we surprised Barack Obama was elected in 2008?
I won't be surprised at ANY outcome in 2012.

4 comments:

Jess said...

I learned a quick lesson about government a years ago. It was a police matter, but after hours of no police, I realized nobody will take care of me, and my own, as well as I can.

I'm sure the bureaucratic solution is to hire more officers, so I can pay more taxes, which will only drain my wallet and still leave me taking care of myself. That's not a solution and never will be. It only leads to an expensive false sense of security and adds another brick on the road to Hell.

Scotty said...

Then, the icing on the cake...
In a discussion re: the poor investment decision-making of mutual friends who had lost all of their retirement savings I hear the comment, "Well, government should insure that cannot happen."


Using that logic, I guess the "government" should insure the investment of my one dollar lottery ticket, eh???

Old NFO said...

Sadly I have to agree... sigh

CJ said...

Overheard on NCIS:

"We've gone from Socrates to Snookie."

What more has to be said?

cjh