09 April 2020

Losing My Medical Certificate?

A little over a year ago I registered with the VA because of my Agent Orange exposure in Viet Nam.
I don't think my exposure to the chemical was serious, but who knows? So, "just in case", I threw my name into the pool. Little did I know the machinery I was setting in motion!

I was called in for lab work.
Not extensive stuff... just height, weight, blood pressure, a couple vials of blood, pee in the bottle, and a consult with a Doctor.
My blood pressure was slightly elevated. My blood glucose number was through the roof.
I was diagnosed as diabetic.
The Doc prescribed several medicines. I'm now using one of those pill dispensers I used to see "old" people using. Mine has a little cubby for Sunday through Saturday and AM/PM.
It takes me about 20 minutes to sort the meds and the food supplements I also use into the dispenser.
What a pain.


So time rolls on and I go see my Flight Surgeon to renew my med certificate.
Like the honest trooper I am, I listed in detail the pharmaceuticals and dosages my VA Doc prescribed.

A month or so ago I got a letter from the FAA:
"So you're taking Terazosin, Oxybutinin, and Metformin, huh? How nice! Maybe we'll deny your medical. Have your Doctor type up a detailed letter telling us more about why you need this stuff."

The FAA, like virtually every bureaucracy on earth, has resorted to a phone system manned by machines: "Press one to not be disconnected", etc.
I spent half an hour waiting to speak with a live human, then got disconnected.
When I called back I was informed the office was closed and I should "call back during business hours".

Next day, after another half-hour wait, I did speak with a live person and got a 30-day extension so I can get back home to work with my VA Doctor about clearing this up...
IF we can clear this up.

The idea of losing my medical certificate when I feel great and want to get out and do some more teaching?
Disheartening.

This getting old is frustrating.


4 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Five years ago got a pacemaker after face planting twice. Diagnoses was brady-cardia, that is, too slow a heartbeat on rare occasions. The pacemaker kicks in when it happens. Still trying to get even a 3rd class.

Rain Trueax said...

Wow. Just wow. I've seen a lot of need for that word this morning...

Greybeard said...

I like WOW a lot, Rain.
Short. Symmetrical. And works better than "unbelievable".
Do you use it when writing? ;)

On a Wing and a Whim said...

You have my deepest sympathies. There's a reason I let mine expire, and went to light sport... though I'm now eyeing BasicMed as a possibility to get back into airplanes that aren't my old taildragger.

Once this latest social idiocy is all over, I'm going to be calling AOPA medical first, though, because I'm pretty sure I'll end up on the Special Issuance tradmill right alongside you otherwise.

Best of luck!