11 May 2011

Mask, Fins, Snorkel, And A Senior Citizen

I was a little bit excited. It seemed like such a good idea.

I got my "Basic Diver's Certification" back in 1979. At the time, I bought some of the finest diving equipment available...
Mask, swim fins, snorkel, dive boots, bouyancy compensator, dive knife. My Mom bought me a very expensive breathing regulator. I was new to the sport, but I sure looked the part of an expert. I then proceeded to make two fresh-water lake dives before life got too complicated to continue. My dive bag sat over there in the corner of the closet for over 30 years. From the balcony at Destin, several times I thought, "If I had my dive bag here I could take a look at what is beneath the surface of that beautiful water".
I remembered the bag this trip. I unpacked it and since the bag itself had a considerable layer of dust on it, put it in the washer, then carried the mask, fins, snorkel, and dive boots with me to the beach.

Farce.
That's what it was.
Did my feet grow? I couldn't get the booties on. By the time I finally DID get them on (15 minutes?) I was winded and worn out.
I caught my breath, walked to the water with mask/snorkel and fins, donned them, and waded in. The first wave hit me and knocked me down, filling my snorkel (and mouth) with salt water. I was still in shallow water so I stood up, cleared my snorkel, and promptly got knocked over by the next wave... same result.
I was out of breath again.

I finally got organized and started swimming away from the beach. Salt water is more bouyant than fresh water and I was bobbing on the surface like a styrofoam cup. It felt weird. I realized I was getting NO USE whatsoever from the fins, so I took them back to the shore and left them.
Back into the water, when I finally began to be able to move in the direction I wanted I'm lookin' at the sand about six feet beneath me...
Nothin'.
Bare, white, beautiful sand.
There was a little bit of seaweed in the water itself, but the visibility in the water was still greater than 30 feet. And the only thing I could see within sight distance was a couple brightly colored fish, each about 3 inches long.

Wait.
What's that?
Brown, and about the size of a tennis ball... a sponge. A REAL sponge. I grabbed it, made my way to shore, and presented my "treasure" to my wife.

When I got back to the condo I found the washer had destroyed my 30 year-old dive bag.
It was old.
So am I.
The dive bag got thrown in the trash.
But I'll be back.

6 comments:

jinksto said...

Assume that you backed in? Trying to go in frontwards with fins on will kill you. :)

Stick with it. Beach diving takes a little practice

Rita said...

Great post. I could imagine myself sitting on the balcony with a beer and binoculars laughing at the "old geezer" trying to snorkel for the first time.

Not that I REALLY would laugh OR call you an old geezer.

CJ said...

I'd be right there next to you, Rita.

cjh

Anonymous said...

Better stick with the Goldwing.
Have a look at this,

Best,

Erik.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4f4_1305177234

Old NFO said...

LOL- At least your fins didn't snap in two because they were so old...

the golden horse said...

It's guys like you that give those of us sitting on the beach some great entertainment.

But I have felt your pain before. I was sitting on the beach one day and here comes Mr. and Mrs. Preppie, from the button down shirt, leather loafers, gold watch, the whole enchilada with Mr.
They were dragging a two person Kayak and Mrs. Jumped right in. Mr. tried as hard as he could to get in without getting wet. Well, he kept turning his back on the ocean, not a smart thing to do, and while trying to get in for the 10th time and was knocked about five feet onto the shore. He got up and stomped his feet and headed for the car. Mrs. peacefully paddled on out to sea. The group of us on shore had a great show that day. It was like out of a Hugh Grant movie.