26 April 2005

Background

One of the bloggers I enjoy reading had to abandon her blog because she made no attempt to conceal her identity and co-workers began to read her blog regularly. When she would make comments about her experiences at work, management and co-workers were sometimes offended. She feared for her livelihood. I hope to avoid that problem by maintaining anonymity. That will be difficult, considering the small world I live in.
I've been flying helicopters since the mid 1960's. The U.S. ARMY taught me to fly helicopters,and upon successful completion of the course I was one of the lucky folks that got an all-expense paid vacation in sunny Southeast Asia. There I flew helicopter gunships mostly, but I flew slicks, (troop carriers) also, when the gunship I flew was grounded for maintenance.
Returning stateside, I became an instructor. Teaching people to fly helicopters has been a joy! There is a nearly indescribable satisfaction in meeting someone with a desire to learn to fly helicopters, and taking them from the starting point to watching them take off on their first solo flight. Teaching students to fly makes you special to someone for the rest of their life. I am still in constant contact with students I taught to fly many, many years ago.
I have had non-flying jobs off and on during the time since I learned to fly, but I have never been away from the controls for very long. Flying has, for the most part, been what put bacon on the table for all these years.
I am also an airplane pilot, but I don't like them very much. They are a wonderful way to go from point "A" to point "B" quickly, but they are boring, (if you can drive a car, you can fly an airplane), and they are not as safe as a helicopter. (If this doesn't elicit comments, nothing will!)

If you have never flown one, you CANNOT fly a helicopter! I would wager that given someone with natural talent, a good instructor might be able to talk a student through the motions of flying an airplane... get in, start the machine, take off, land, and shut it down.
Believe me, no amount of verbal instruction will keep you from quickly turning a helicopter into a pile of expensive scrap... there is no substitute for hands-on training!

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/114/

I have flown as a Corporate pilot, a "tour" pilot, and I presently fly a helicopter ambulance. Flying EMS is highly satisfying... earning a living while helping people that sometimes need your talents desperately.
That's a quick overview. At the start there are many questions: How often will I post? How much, if any attention will the site attract? I'm excited!

No comments: