31 July 2023

To Euthanize?

Last Wednesday I was walking "Chico" our Chihuahua-mix on a leash.
I knew he needed a bathroom break and didn't intend to keep him out long because the ambient temp was HOT. I felt a tug on the leash and turned around to find him lying on his right side on the concrete, motionless. Not breathing.
I quickly grabbed him up and started rubbing his chest. Breathing resumed, but something was still wrong.
He seemed confused, and his rear legs didn't seem to be working properly. I walked him into a shady area near a tree and he tried to hike his leg, gave up on the idea, and peed while standing on all four.

Back in the A/C he acted more normal but behaved as if he was exhausted. I'd seen this kind of behavior before in a former girlfriend's (old) miniature poodle who had frequent epileptic seizures. That dog finally had an event he never recovered from. The rest of the day Chico was listless, and although not interested in food, he did drink water.

Thursday morn, he seemed normal. Sara Jean let him out for his morning "takin' care o' business" and he was fine until his buddy the neighbor's dog showed up. He then repeated the "falling over onto his right side" scary behavior.

This time he didn't recover so quickly. More confusion, and attempts to stand him on all four legs was impossible- his back legs wouldn't support him.

This dog adopted us as an adult so we have NO idea how old he is.
The Vet's best guess is that he's 13 or 14 yrs old. But he's been so spry 'til now we're slapped in the face now knowing age has likely caught up with him. And us.

Now it's Sunday. Eating has resumed, sorta. He drinks every few hours. He can shakily stand and walk on all four but pees while standing. No pooping so far. He "fidgets" constantly.
We are dog lovers. We've been on-and-off in tears knowing what we are facing here... if not right now, certainly in the very near future.
This dog is an extension of my body when I'm not moving-
At my left side when I'm in the recliner; snuggled into the crook of my legs when in bed. I feel his warmth ALL DAY.

We went down this same road with our Lucy some years back. I'm not sure we've fully recovered after all these years from that experience.

Why do we do this to ourselves?
Remind me... what is the definition of insanity? :>(





6 comments:

Jess said...

Only a vet can test for what ails the pup. It might be something that is treated with medication and allows for more years.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

x2

Lynn said...

Why do we do it to ourselves? Because we get so much more from our furry family than they ever ask from us. Because the years we have with them are so rewarding. Because we can give a loving home to one who otherwise may have never known what it was like. Because while we are saving their lives, they are saving ours. Because the tears and heartache at the end are worth it for all of the love and companionship we get during their lives.

And now that I have leaked tears for the ones I have lost - and for the one you may be losing - I am going to go love on the ones I have now.

MarciaStankavich said...

Because as the saying goes "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." How bad will our lives be without love to comfort us. There are many homeless people who have pets and they will feed them before the eat. It's that constant love and loyalty that keeps them going.

Old NFO said...

So sorry to hear that.

Joe said...

I am so sorry for your loss