25 January 2023

Playing With (120mm Smooth-Bore) Fire:


I graduated Officer's Candidate School at Ft. Knox, KY as a Second Lieutenant with the title "Small Unit Tank Commander". Then I attended the ARMY'S "Rotary Wing Flight School" as a Commissioned Officer.
I know just enough about the Armored Beast pictured above to be dangerous.
Brandon, our Fearless Leader, is sending 31 of those to Ukraine to kill Russians. They are, arguably, the "top of the food chain" in the world of tanks.
Thinking the U.S. had weak leadership, Putin assembled his troops on the border and invaded Ukraine almost two years ago. Lots of lives on both sides have been snuffed out since. Many innocent non-combatants in Ukraine have died.
It would be nice if PEACE would break out there. Will the addition of Abrams and (German) Leopard tanks there help that happen?
I don't know. I'm frightened.

I DO know this-
Putin WILL NOT give up Crimea. To do so would be a loss of face the "little man" cannot stomach.
In my opinion, this addition to Ukraine's combat capabilities is literally.... Poking the Bear.

How does this conflict end?
I'm not clued into any intelligence information. I hope those folks who are know what they are doing.
But it sure seems to me the way this comes to an end will be similar to the conclusion of our effort in Viet Nam and Russia's Afghanistan experience-
It will become politically untenable.
It seems to me that's the only way Putin backs down. (And is replaced?)

We are playing with fire.
I think the Russian people are the key to ending this tragedy.
I hope they're getting enough "News" to understand that.
And "sooner" would also be nice.
Please.

5 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I remember just enough military training to understand tanks need infantry support (combined arms). Tanks are for offensive action. Is it in our national interest to enable Ukraine to mount a strong offense?

Greybeard said...

"Offense" WSF?
Yes, but...
In OCS we also learned a tactic called "retrograde action". (That was sort of a politically correct term for "retreat".)
Russians are killing on Ukraine's soil. I have NO problem with Ukraine offensive action within their borders.
But I still fear Putin will paint himself into a corner he has only one way to free himself.

Jess said...

It's a good way for military experts to examine the U.S. main battle tank in a war environment that doesn't expose U.S. troops to danger. It's the worse case scenario, with almost untrained tank units, inexperienced maintenance troops, and a war zone that never tested the tank. The military/industrial complex will be salivating while watching the carnage, begin improvements, jockeying for contracts, and arranging meetings with members of Congress.

Old NFO said...

That we are. And tanks are useless without infantry!

Rain Trueax said...

The whole thing is very frightening. Worse, it seems we have an oblivious president, who sure doesn't know as much as you do-- and doesn't want to...