07 March 2022

Analogy-


 A friend of mine got married and had children immediately after High School. He won't admit it, but I know he did it to avoid being drafted and risk being sent to fight in Viet Nam.
I also know he condemned himself to a lifetime of wondering "How would I have reacted in Combat? How would my life be different today had I served my country like so many of my peers?"
He will never know.

The handsome man above is Ukrainian. He's one of the pro dancers from "Dancing With The Stars". Sara Jean and I have enjoyed watching him perform on the show.
When things began to be heated in his home country he flew home to Ukraine. When it was VERY obvious the Russkies were gonna invade, he tucked-tail and flew back to the U.S..

I can't judge him.
But like my friend who got married and became a father immediately after High School, I think he may always feel like a coward. Coming home while his countrymen are fighting (and dying) to protect their friends, family, and country...
He's gonna regret this decision until the day he dies.


7 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

He may not regret it but he will always be uncomfortable around any veterans.

Old NFO said...

Most probably...

Gerry said...

Many if not most of my male teachers in high school became teachers to avoid the draft.
They sucked at teaching and several quit when the draft ended.

Anonymous said...

You say you’re not judging? That is exactly what you did by saying he tucked tail and flew back to the U.S. Find out the whole story before you pass judgment.

Greybeard said...

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/maksim-chmerkovskiy-planning-return-europe-survivors-remorse-ukraine

Mommanurse said...

Check out his interview with Anderson Cooper. Haven't heard anything about it since then.

Greybeard said...

"When I got to the train station, it was all women and children."
Yeah.
And at that point he had a decision to make.