18 February 2022

EV's

Electric vehicles.
Lots of controversy about 'em now. I think my fear about buying one is similar to most- Range.
I now get into our car/truck and drive 700 miles+- to Destin, FL. Along the way I'll stop to get fuel at any of a thousand places that can provide it along the route.

EV range IS improving. I think Toyota is now claiming some of their vehicles can almost make that trip.
But "almost" is... almost, not quite, damned near. IF I could stop somewhere along the way and do a simple battery swap in a few minutes, then continue my journey... I'd sure consider buying an EV.
(Unless I lived in California where apparently they'll not be able to recharge their EV's this summer because of their energy shortage. :) )

Battery technology is a hot subject right now. I just heard of something called "Niobium" for the first time.
Exciting stuff.
Do your research.

3 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Range is the first consideration. Endurance is the second consideration. How long will it provide heat if I'm stranded in a blizzard? In my mind, 1/2 tank equals empty. As my late father liked to say, "They don't burn anymore gas with the tank full". (Yes, I know the extra weight causes a bit higher fuel consumption). If you ever spent 24 hours on top of Loveland Pass because avalanches have closed both sides you will become a believer.

Ed Bonderenka said...

The left loves 'em, therefore I hate 'em.

Greybeard said...

Torque, Ed!
They accelerate like scalded dogs.
And being a performance-loving guy, when they meet my requirements I'll sure as heck consider one.