07 March 2006

Post Oscar Wrap-up

First things first:

Salma Hayak!
Wow.

Now, the program itself:
Is it just me, or did it seen more subdued this year?
I thought Jon Stewart seemed a little nervous, but he was funny, and his political humor was in good taste.

I'm always uncomfortable when one recipient uses up all the talk time and they cut off the second person's chance to say their thanks by "playing them off"........but I do appreciate the fact that the program doesn't go on and on and on.

The only reasonably current movie I have seen is "Walk The Line".
I'm a Johnny Cash fan, so I enjoyed the insights into his life, although I was disappointed to find he was into drugs that heavily.
Both Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon did a great job singing their parts. Portraying professional singers had to be a scary task.

George Clooney's comments about being proud that Hollywood is "out of touch" indicates to me that there is inside talk in the industry about a possible problem there. I hope it means there is a chance of a return to more "heart of America" values on films in the near future.

Films portraying servicemen/women as the heroes they are would be a refreshing change, wouldn't it?

1 comment:

THIRDWAVEDAVE said...

The show was a bomb this year. I don't care for Stewart, not in the least, but I will say it's a tough job hosting the Oscars. He was clearly not the best choice.

As for films depicting our military, later this year Clint Eastwood is releasing one. It's the one film I'm looking forward to seeing.