03 February 2023

Old Friends; New Friends

I may be the outlier.
I'm still in touch (via this magical invention we're now using) with the neighbor I played Cowboys and Indians with 70 years ago. And I'm glad.
...High School Classmates have seeped out of life's fissures.
Several of the guys I rubbed elbows with in Officer's Candidate School still pretty regularly converse with one another. These guys all meet at now-and-then reunions and hug one another without embarrassment.
Flight School buddies... Fellow Viet Nam Vets... similar situation.
On my search engine I frequently enter names of old girlfriends, friends, and acquaintances that have had an impact on my life. This is how I found (and was shocked by) my first wife's obituary.
My point is if you've been an important part of my life in the past, chances are I'd probably like to find out what has happened to you since we were last in physical contact.
So I admit to cruising FaceBook now and then, trying to find old friends... male AND female.

What am I noticing?
Something that should have been obvious, but took a 2X4 to my left temple to sink in...
Not everyone has the desire to stay connected with their past as I do. To some, I'm a considerable pest.
And that is simultaneously a revelation and disappointment. It requires a "reset" in thinking.

The "salve" that helps heal the dull ache caused by that reset?
My continued efforts to locate folks from my past continue to be successful.
And many of those contacts are actually glad to hear from me and share histories.

Life?
It's a wonderful way to pass the time, doncha think?




6 comments:

Old NFO said...

That's not unusual. Some folks don't 'want' to relive the old days... sigh

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I've never been much of a social person so I don't spend time looking.

Greybeard said...

I'm sorry to hear that WSF. You've dashed my hopes for a future visit. ;>)

Rain Trueax said...

I like FB for the reason of keeping in touch with new and old friends, as well as family. It's easy and takes little time. Not everybody is politically motivated for wanting only friends in their bubble, but it can be a factor when someone doesn't want to continue to connect.

bultaco1495 said...

Do you have any advice about good methods to finding old acquaintances on Facebook? I have not had much success on Facebook. Searches produce too many results, even after applying the usual filters, etc., as per Facebook's typical instructions. Thank you.

Greybeard said...

Bultaco-
It's tedious, but I search the "friend's list" of friends I find and then send them requests.