08 January 2022

"Neat Old Truck!"

 

I'm surprised every time it happens-
"That's a neat old truck."
I guess it does look different than the newer Dodge trucks. But is it THAT different?

I bought it because of what ya see here-
3/4 ton. Extended Cab. Two-wheel drive. And powered by the Cummins Diesel built near my boyhood home in Indiana.

The odometer in my truck now registers 260,000 miles+. It still runs strong, burns NO oil, and gets 21 mpg on our Interstate trips. My only complaint with the truck has nothing to do with the truck itself-
It's with the fuel.
Why in the world is Diesel fuel, which takes less trouble to refine than gasoline, more expensive than gasoline?
(Spoiler answer: Taxing Diesel fuel is a simple way for government to pass on expenses to ALL consumers via the amount of it used by 18-wheelers.)

Well, fuel cost is NOT my only complaint about the truck...
When I pull into the drive-up window at a fast food restaurant, our truck is SO noisy I have to turn the engine off for the person in the speaker to hear my order. I HATE drive-up windows!

But I'm still surprised at how many truck lovers notice and comment on my truck.
I've owned it now over 10 years and last week found the email address of the guy I bought it from.
He sold it because it would no longer pass California's strict emission restrictions. I benefited from his problem.
Because of the sound it makes, I named him "GRUMPY".
And I intend to hang on to Grumpy for quite a while.


5 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

A right and proper truck.

Ed Bonderenka said...

My buddy looks for those Cummins in a Dodge truck when he goes shopping.
As I was reading, before you mentioned it, I thought "What's the point of 21 MPG diesel when cost is the same as 15?"
But you have the range and lower maintenance costs.

Anonymous said...

A very righteous truck. That Cummins will run forever with proper care. Have a friend who has three of the older model Dodge trucks (the ones before your model) with 300 and 400 thousand miles on them. If you can keep the electrical gremlins and rust at bay that sucker will outlast you. (Not that we want you passing anytime soon) Keep up the more frequent writing. There are some folks out here that agree with you and like what you have to say.
Regards,
Alex

don't have and will not get, a google account, so I have to post anonymous

Old NFO said...

As long as you tighten up all the stuff that the Cummins rattles loose, it'll run for a LONG time! :-)

Greybeard said...

I think "Diesel people" notice diesel trucks. I'm sure they are the ones noticing and commenting on the fact my '97 is still in pretty great shape. I've become one of them, ;>) and I certainly notice how QUIET the newer diesel trucks have become...
The V8's, and even the newer Cummins. (But I'm glad I don't have to mess with DEF!)

Navy, the engine is actually pretty damn smooth. But it IS a HOSS, power-wise. I'm always amazed when I put my foot in it and that turbocharger kicks in at how quickly this BIG/HEAVY S.O.B. accelerates.
And the Cummins engines all have that distinctive Baritone roar!
I hope staying on top of the little niggles will help keep the big niggles at bay.