06 September 2021

Magic Carpet Ride, 5Sep21

I go back to this theme frequently-
I'm reading James McDonough's "William Tecumseh Sherman, In the Service of My Country". In the mid-1800's, when Sherman needed to communicate with his superiors from San Francisco, it could take THREE MONTHS to get a message to them, and another three to get a response.

We departed Ft. Lauderdale, Florida last night at 2000 hours Eastern. We landed in Nashville, Tennessee at 2200 hours, picked up our son's car, then drove home, arriving at 0400 hours, (again Eastern time zone.)
I haven't calculated the exact distance FTL> our home, but I "swag" it at about 1400 miles total...
Sherman would be boggled by the thought of such speed and convenience.
We are spoiled rotten, and need to say thanks for our blessings continuously.

Big Bubba is buying a house in the Nashville area and we will be helping him to make it a home, starting tomorrow, so a trip back to Music City is necessary. I don't know much about Nashville, but I really like what I am seeing so far.

We are still getting our "land legs" beneath us, unwinding from the whirlwind we've been caught up in.
I'm sure Sherman frequently had situations he had to unwind from, even at a horse/donkey's walking pace.

Have a great day today everyone. I fear we are about to have major changes in our lives.
(Buy a BUNCH of your favorite brand of coffee. Ours has been "out of stock for two weeks now.)

3 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

No coffee!!!!! Man the barricades, this is war!

Greybeard said...

Viet Nam, MAJOR exporter of Robusta coffees, has stopped any exporting:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/covid-19-threatens-to-cause-a-global-coffee-shortage-as-major-export-hub-goes-into-lockdown/ar-AAO6bII

Wars have been started because of Soccer. Coffee is an order of magnitude more important, isn't it my old Navy friend? :(

Ed Bonderenka said...

I have friends in Nashville/Franklin.
Nice area.
Always stocked on coffee.