27 August 2021

The Wisdom of A Navy Corpsman

When I got drafted my closest friend in High School joined the Navy and asked to be trained as a Medic.
... Ballsy, considering the conflict in Viet Nam was growing, and Walter Cronkite was showing videos of that conflict every night on his broadcast. He came home from the war a dramatically changed man.

I've kept the relationship with that friend alive and reasonably well all these years since.
For some time now he's been saying "the country is lost", and I've argued that he is wrong. But everywhere I turn and look now I see things that make me either sick to my stomach or at least uncomfortable. (If you don't know who Megan Rapinoe is, do the research.)

We face trying times.
The difficulties we face will change our country, for better or worse.
And I'm not sure I want to live in the country that emerges.

Damn, I'm glad I'm old!

2 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

"We face trying times.
The difficulties we face will change our country, for better or worse.
And I'm not sure I want to live in the country that emerges."

I share your sentiments. I also feel some quilt that I didn't do enough to keep all this from happening. Probably not warranted but it is there. What legacy did we inherit and what legacy are we passing to our grandchildren?

Old NFO said...

Same here. What 'we' are leaving our kids/grandkids is NOT going to be pretty.