02 August 2021

Backing Up

 



Trying to make the most of the years we have left, (hopefully MANY), we decided to buy an RV.
I wrote about loving truck campers because they are compact, you only have to license one vehicle, and you can pull a trailer behind them.
Well, best laid plans...

We went shopping and I made the mistake of taking a look at this thing.
It has a "garage" in the front with a ramp. You can drive a motorcycle up that ramp with room to spare for other stuff. The slide at the rear accommodates a full King-size bed. At the campsite you can pull the bike out of the garage and there are two bunk beds up there in front.

I've been terrified of maneuvering this thing behind our 3/4 ton truck. So today I took it out to a BIG empty parking lot in our neighborhood and practiced.
Surprisingly, after two or three shots at trying to hit my target I got to the point I was no longer terrified.
(Ain't sayin' I was great at it, but if/when I need to put it into a campsite, with a little ziggin' and zaggin', I'll get the sucker where it needs to rest.)

Now? We're outfitting the thing.
LOTS of nickels and dimes.
Stay tuned. More to come.

7 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I've many miles pulling trailers while in the car biz. To me the essential equipment is load control/sway bars.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Weight_Distribution_Hitch.aspx?msclkid=9bcbfdd069c31d8023889cd8c8d55cd8&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20%7C%20Search%20-%20Weight%20Distribution%20Hitch%20-%20NV&utm_term=trailer%20weight%20distribution&utm_content=Trailer%20Weight%20Distribution

A general resource I recommend.

https://mrtruck.com/

I particularly recommend the Centramatic wheel balancers for both the trailer and the tow vehicle, but especially the trailer.

Good luck and great adventurers with your new acquisition!

Anonymous said...

One of the keys to backing a trailer is the little kink in the opposite direction before you start the back up. Once some one taught me that it was a cake walk from there on out.
I am so happy that you are taking the ball and running with it. This rig looks awesome, and you can take the bike with you as well. The ramp angle looks a little steep (high center at the top)for a road bike, but I am sure you already checked that out.
I can't wait for your stories on out fitting it and hitting the road. Life is meant to be lived and I think you are about to live it. Yeah, you gonna learn some shit and laugh at it a few months from now, but that's what life is all about.
Can't wait to hear the stories.
Regards,
Alex

Greybeard said...

WSF-
There's a similar system installed on our rig. I don't know the brand name, but I was warned to remove the bars if I needed to turn more than 45-degrees. (They're not difficult to remove... I took 'em off when I was practicing this afternoon.)
I'll check out the Centramatics.

Alex-
Thank you for the kind words. I look forward to many great adventures here.

Joe said...

Have fun!

Old NFO said...

Enjoy! And that is a nice set up, with the garage forward. Better overall balance.

Ed Bonderenka said...

Looks promising!

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun, safe travels! CNF