17 July 2021

Change Two To Plan "B"

My Dad was a Wizard.
"Jack of all trades"... I've written before about how he could do MANY things, and do them well.

In 1963 he bought a new Chevrolet "Corvair Greenbriar" Van, bought a bunch of plywood, and turned the thing into a really neat travel camper. In it, our family of four took many camping trips, including an unforgettable trip West from Indianapolis. We headed West via a Northern Route... Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and into L.A. to visit kin.
Returning home we passed through Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, and Painted Desert. As a 16-yr old with a freshly printed driver's license, I drove most of the miles on that trip.
My folks then later graduated to a pickup camper mounted on a 3/4 ton Ford Pickup, then a 27-foot Winnebago motor home. My memories of those camping trips are some of the fondest of my life, and I thank my departed parents for them.

About ten years ago, after much study of the market, I bought a Dodge Ram pickup with the 5.9 liter Cummins diesel engine. My intent in buying the truck was to eventually mount a camper in the bed and set off with my wife to check things from our "bucket list".
It's likely now that I am slowly losing my bride to dementia. So the idea of buying a camper and starting our Nation-roving trek has been accelerated. I've been perusing YouTube videos to get an idea of what's out there and how to proceed.
And HOLY COW... are there a bunch of things to be considered!
But maybe the biggest thing to be concerned about is something I never heard my Dad consider, although I know he probably did:
WEIGHT.

Many of the newer model campers are aluminum framed, (as opposed to wood, which rots when it is continuously wet), so they are lighter by design and better maintenance-wise than in days of yore. But then on top of building them lighter they add "options"-
Microwave ovens. Awnings, (or two or three of 'em). Pop-out sliding rooms. Queen sized beds. The list goes on and on.
And if you add a bunch of these "accessories" you can easily increase the weight of the camper to a figure that will eventually break the back of the truck. In addition, I'm now finding out my beautiful Cummins diesel engine weighs approximately 700 pounds(!) more than it's gasoline-eating brother.
I've always dreamed of the luxury of being able to go, at a moment's notice, to sights we want to see with our home (and STUFF) on our back.
I like the idea of not having to make hotel reservations, (though I know staying in a dedicated campground is likely to be about as expensive as a motel room.)
But this venture has sure turned out to be more complicated that I thought it would be.
And of course, $$$$$ will be flowing outta my pockets.

But that's what retirement is for....
Isn't it?




5 comments:

Greybeard said...

My Ram Truck is NOT a dually, and I have no intention of buying a dually. I'll do whatever is necessary to modify my truck to handle the weight of whatever camper we decide to purchase. I'd like an aluminum framed "four-season" camper, with a comfortable shower/bath. I'm looking at "Arctic Fox", "NuCamp Cirrus', and "Northstar" right now.
Recommendations and comments would be appreciated.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

YouTube is your friend. Learn from others. My camping is off grid. Down the road a few miles from me is an established manufacturer. Not top of line amenities but solid.

http://www.hallmarkrv.com/

If price is no object just a few miles from them.

https://earthroamer.com/

Old NFO said...

Not a clue over here, I gave up on camping years ago, and heard too many horror stories about campgrounds. But I wish you the best!

Anonymous said...

Check out Dr Hannah Straights site. She uses a Ford crew cab and camps off the beaten path in all seasons with her camper. It may be more primitive than what you want to do, but it is additional info.
BTW, spend the money and just go for it. You only go around once and the memories will be worth it. Plus, the memories will be with the one you love most. Do not get to the end and say I wish I would have done that. Grab all you can now.
You are ex military and used to making do with what you got. Make it happen. Think it through, don't over think it, and hit the road.
Look forward to following your adventures.
Soon.

Alex

Greybeard said...

I've watched many of Dr. Straight's videos, Alex. And you're right, my wife thinks a night at the Holiday Inn Express is camping. But I think if she experiences this, she'll learn to enjoy it.
Thanks for your comment. The reminder that time is short is certainly appreciated now.