05 March 2021

Ham

And I don't mean with Navy beans and cornbread!
I'm talkin' about Amateur Radio.

In the early 60's I was dating a gal whose Dad was involved in Citizen's Band radio. When I'd pick her up I'd hear him chatting with others in his radio shack and go visit with him until she was ready to go.
Eventually I realized I was more interested in him and his hobby than I was with her. I learned a lot about radio from him and eventually bought my own "rig", and got my Dad interested in CB in the process.

In those days you had to apply to the FCC for a CB license in order to be able to transmit on the band.
I sent in my application with the nominal required fee and got my license. I became "KNK6124".
(The license to operate on the Citizen's Band no longer is required, going away about the time the C.W. McCall record "Convoy" hit the airwaves. That was also about the time CB became profane and for me, impossible.)


Dad and I were both interested in Ham radio at that time because that realm offered a lot more options than CB...
More available bands and frequencies, and the potential for "around the globe communications".
But there was a problem... at that time you needed to pass a test showing proficiency in Morse Code in order to get an Amateur Radio license. Neither of us had the time or inclination to learn Morse Code.
My interest in CB waned when I was drafted.
Sixty years pass.

I have become a mild "Prepper".
And one of the "nice to have" things, even if it means just communicating/coordinating with neighbors is a little "Handheld radio" and Ham Radio license.
And SMILE with me... the requirement to know Morse Code no longer applies.

Last month I scheduled my exam with the local Ham Radio Club here in Phoenix. I took the "Technician" exam and easily passed it.
I immediately rescheduled for the "General" license and will sit for that exam tomorrow (Saturday) at 1000 hours.
I've had my nose in the study guide now for a week. This exam is NOT so easy as the Technician exam, and I'm a little worried about my possibility of success.
Keep your fingers crossed for me, or if you're of a mid to- say a simple prayer for me.

I'll keep ya posted.


4 comments:

Old NFO said...

KBW 6885 here... Never got into the Ham rigs, but I'm starting to look at that really hard for...reasons.

Greybeard said...

I was surprised at how inexpensive you can get into it, Navy.
Take a look at a few YouTube vids re: HT's... (Handy talkies). I bought a
Baofeng BF-F8HP for each of my family members. They're Chinese, and some Hams scorn them. But they have a lot of features for the $$$$ and will do the job to get that first leg into Ham ops.
If you decide to get into it let me know. I'll help you with what little knowledge I Have.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

An uncle was a well known Ham in the Denver area. He would have gladly taught me everything I needed to know but I never got the bug. Back in the day I had a 3rd Class Radiotelephone license, just why I can't remember but never used it for anything.

Tricky Dickie and Jimmy made sure I bought a CB that I never bothered to license. Covering the Intermountain West at 55 mph killed our income. Commissioned sales meant fewer calls, less income.

Old NFO said...

Thanks GB. FYI, those Baofengs are lousy for freq control... Had them for some testing a few years ago and the EW folks were laughing at us.