21 May 2020

Hitting the Barn Door


Some years ago one of my active Law Enforcement buddies showed me the backup firearm he'd just purchased. That's it shown above... a 9mm "Keltech". It just slightly larger than the palm of my hand, and impressed me as a good concealed carry piece.  So I bought one.
Took it out to the range and fired two magazines through it. The little S.O.B. is uncomfortable to fire, and at the end of the second magazine I was literally missing the entire target with some of my rounds. (I was tired that afternoon and probably shouldn't have even been on the range.)
That was two years ago. I haven't fired it since.

I've been thinking about it this week. It's time to get back on the horse.
I'm going to grab it and figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I'll let ya know.

3 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Just a recommendation from someone who shoots a .44 Special. Note how you hold your wrist. Just like a boxer is trained to position their hands inward so the knuckles are inside the wrist, so should you shooting hand. You want to be able to push hard against your fist without your wrist flexing. This way your whole arm absorbs the recoil.

The same principal applies to long arms, to include your support hand.

Anonymous said...

I have a Kel-Tec P11 also. It is a joy to carry: lightweight, 12+1 rounds of 9mm, etc, etc. The trigger pull is heinously long, however. I put an aftermarket (Northwoods?) trigger on it, which helped a bit, and a spring kit from Mcarbo (trigger,hammer, and I think sear), which helped more, as well as heavier-rated recoil springs and a Hogue slip-on grip sleeve so it fills my hand a bit more..and tames the bite as well!
Just thought you might like to hear another owner’s mods...oh, and a stainless steel guide rod, too, more for peace of mind than anything else. I find it takes practice and deliberation to shoot it well, more so than most of my other guns..but I still love it!

Greybeard said...

JLM-
See? THIS is what is so neat about blogging and sharing.
I was unhappy enough with the little piece I almost decided to trade it for something else. But I LOVE the size!
I'm gonna make note of your suggestions and head for my friend the gunsmith.
Thank you!