07 May 2007

April 2007, Destin After-Action Report-

What do you call 10 days of cloudless mid-80 degree days, 70 degree, nearly full-moon lit nights, beer, fresh seafood, good company, and the whitest beach you have ever seen?
I think I know. There are a couple words that fit the bill, but they both mean practically the same thing.

Here's how bad it was... I've gained 5 pounds in 10 days.
Oh well, it was worth it, and I know how to lose it!

I went fishing.
I caught fish... several Red Snapper and a Bonita.
We brought 'em home and cooked 'em... absolutely wonderful.

We went on the Dolphin cruise again and saw lots of Dolphin (porpoise).

One of the things I don't think I've mentioned before is that the Condo is on the final approach course for Eglin Air Force Base. Couple that with the fact that there is a VFR corridor along the beach, and you can see we get our own informal airshow almost daily. We see C-130's at 100' about 200' offshore. Impressive.
F-18's and F-15's make frequent noisy appearances. Night-time "burner" displays are wonderful.

Coast Guard Dolphins make their way to their base on Okaloosa Island.
Navy TH-57's, Marine Cobras, and the occasional Air Force CH-53 are pretty common.
The Airheart EMS BO-105 and Air Methods EC-135 make their way along the beach.
It's a neat place for those of us interested in watching aircraft.

This week was special-
I hosted a mini-reunion of my High School class, and several of my classmates showed up with their spouses. All were impressed with Destin's beauty and have asked that we make this an annual event.
I agree, and am hopeful for a larger attendance next year. The plans are already unfolding.


It's been over a week since I last posted...
Watching the surf lick the sugar-white sand took precedence.
Back to reality now... I'll try to do better.

4 comments:

THIRDWAVEDAVE said...

Looks like you had a great time and I'm glad to hear the reunion went well. Now...back to work!

Teller said...

Sounds like a great vacation! What hotel is that...I might have to take the fiancee there and torture her with the daily airshow :).
Teller

Greybeard said...

Hey Teller-
Link for the Condo Complex is here.
A link for the same complex with slightly different information is here.

We love the place...
convenient location, very nice accomodations, great view of the water, a quick walk to the Gulf OR the pool, and reasonably priced.

And for Aviation buffs, this museum is twenty minutes away, and the Naval Aviation Museum is just over an hour's drive in Pensacola. Both are worth your time.

Let me know if I can help ya get there!

Teller said...

Wow, thanks! I sent the fiancee those links and I think she's convinsed too (all I had to do was mention fresh lobster, and I think that did it). It's probably going to be a while before I can get enough time off to properly enjoy a vacation like that, but I've definitely bookmarked those sites...some day!

Hope readjusting to reality hasn't been too painful :).
Teller