13 May 2024


In 1971 my fellow Flight Commander "Harry" let everyone know his '67 427cu. in. Corvette with three two-barrel carburetors was for sale. He had received orders to return to Viet Nam for a second tour.
When I expressed interest my friend Harry said "Greybeard, you DON'T want this car... When you put your right foot to the floor the gas gauge needle moves just as quickly as the speedometer! It gets 6 miles per gallon on PREMIUM fuel."
I passed on the purchase.

Now that car, similar to the one pictured above, is valued at well over $100,000.
But it's a paperweight...
Who could afford to drive the thing today?

3 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

1963 I bought a Italian Racing Red Fiat Abarth Zagato M750MM for $800. Sold it in 1969 for $500. See them for sale now north of $60,000. Wow! Should have held onto it, no? Had I put the money into almost any kind of investment and held on, what would that investment be worth today?

That Vette for $100,000 inflated dollars is probably selling for the same money, adjusted for inflation, as what you could have bought it back then.

Ralphd00d said...

Back when I was a kid (we are talking circa 1978) my Dad and I built a replica of the '65 stingray - I don't remember the scale of the model, but it was about a foot long, maybe 5 inches high. Best Father/Son project I was able to do with my father. That pic looks just like it. Good memories!

Old NFO said...

If I had one, I'd still drive it (maybe once a month after I'd saved for a tank of gas)... :-)