18 May 2023

Is Worry Wasted?

People pass through your life. Some make an impact. Others? Meh.
One of the folks that made me take notice some years ago was one of my Flight Paramedics.
Smart. Quick witted. Compassionate.
He was one of those that if I had been involved in an accident and I woke in the back of the helicopter to find he was part of the crew caring for me, I'd have relaxed.

He met and fell in love with two boys and wanted to adopt them, but there was a problem.
He'd been arrested a year or so before because he had gotten "out of control" after overdosing on "uppers".
It was an "out of the ordinary" situation, he said.
I believed him, and wrote a letter testifying to his good character, signing it with my signature as a retired field grade military officer.
Whether or not that made a difference can be argued. The adoption was approved. Two years later his wife divorced him and he took sole custody of his two sons.
That was several years ago.

He's been a great Father. The two boys have thrived. I've watched their lives unfold via FaceBook. He's made me proud of the fact I stuck my neck out a little to vouch for him when he wanted to assume responsibility for the boys.

But now he's gone dark on FaceBook.
My attempts to contact him there are going unanswered. And I'm worried.

We are told there is a thin line between genius and mental illness.
I don't know how to contact him with no FaceBook link.

I hope he, and the boys, are okay.


5 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

Technically, worry is a negative. It actually refers to friction and unnecessary motion, wasted energy. Concern is never wasted.

Old NFO said...

You did what you could. Concur with Ed, concern but not your responsibility.

glasslass said...

There is a site called "find a grave". It'll walk you through. If he died they usually can find a person. Was looking for a lady who died and trail dried up and they found it for me. Good luck

Gerry said...

People get off of Facebook for a number of excellent reasons.
Try any of the search engines and see if you can find another contact number for him.

I did that to find my lost friend's published obituary.

I hope your search turns out better.

Greybeard said...

I contacted a friend of his to express my concern. The friend contacted him and we had a lengthy conversation yesterday.
He simply got tired of all the FaceBook drama and removed himself...
Says it helped his mental health considerably.
Thanks you everyone for your comments.