10 April 2023

Anheuser Busch's Dilemma

 

I moved to St. Louis, Missouri in 1974. The guy that lived in the apartment above mine owned the roofing company that had re-roofed the Anheuser-Busch brewery.
"Hey Greybeard... Come with me. I'm gonna inspect the work my crews have done at the brewery and we can drink all the beer we want while we're there."
At that time, (no longer), there were coolers of draft beer strategically placed throughout the brewery and workers could drink all the cold beer they wanted. Contractors could too.
We became "tipsy" roof inspectors.

We met one of the brewmasters and I got to ask a question I had been curious about-
"How do you make 'Light Beer?'"

"Basically we just add distilled water to it" was his response.
I stopped drinking Light Beer at that point. If I want Light Beer I'll add my own water, thank you.

This kerfuffle about the brand will be interesting to watch.
In my opinion, A/B has backed themselves into a corner with their customers-
Can they apologize? If they don't, they're gonna take a huge hit in sales. (Just ask "Kid Rock"!)
If they do, they'll lose the Trans community, and the apology probably will now fall on deaf ears to the customers that have been loyal to the brand.

Coca Cola realized their mistake with "New Coke" and changed course.
I don't think that will be possible for Anheuser Busch.



8 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Go woke, go broke. Can rig the outcome when people vote their wallets.

Rain Trueax said...

Seems like with the bank, they got taken over by wokeism but it makes no sense to me. I btw, don't drink beer of any sort lol

Greybeard said...

Too many "Carbs" for our "Keto Diet", Rain.
My chances of buying "Bud Light", or ANY "Light Beer" are ZERO, unless I'm dying of thirst.

Old NFO said...

They are now owned by InBev, which is a Dutch company with 400 brands under their control. The loss of AB would probably 'improve' their bottom line, since the beer sucks.

Anonymous said...

I don’t like most AB products. I prefer ale.

Ed Bonderenka said...

https://babylonbee.com/news/beverage-pretending-to-be-beer-features-man-pretending-to-be-woman

But I heard today AB stock is up:
Anheuser-Busch InBev's stock fell 3 percent on Monday following backlash to the company's partnership with transgender influencer and activist Dylan Mulvaney.
Despite the controversy, the company's stock is still sitting at 52-week highs and is outperforming competitors.

Greybeard said...

And we have a president that can't find his way to the door of his home without Secret Service guidance, Ed.
These kids see the world through different eyes.
And they (and we) will pay the price for it.

Gerry said...

Marketing Babe: We will increase our market share by being the beer of choice in the trans community. That means a 0.4% increase in sales based on population graphics.

Sales guy on phone: Honey, no Christmas bonus this year and how about polishing up my resume?