27 April 2022

Heroes and Villains


Nineteen times I made the trip from Torrance, California back to the Midwest in a small helicopter.
Every time I made that trip I would marvel at the number of those wind turbines there were on hilltops and ridgelines along that route. Where there is one of 'em, there are HUNDREDS.
I have no idea what they cost, ($$$$$!) but I always wondered how long it would take for the energy they produce to recoup your initial outlay on one of them.
(And that doesn't take into consideration the amount of money you'll spend maintaining the eyesore so you don't get the result shown in the image.)

I've seen photos of them burying LOTS of the rotor blades because (like the old Soviet-era "Trabant") there is apparently no way to recycle the materials the things are made of.

I can't help worrying that so much of this solar/wind energy stuff is gonna bite us in our derriere in the long-term.

You jump.
I'll watch and learn.



2 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

The installations are changing the ecology of the prairies. Raptors are getting killed by them and the raptor's prey find sanctuary under them. The wild grazers have far less food as the pads and support roads take up a lot of land where nothing grows.

Old NFO said...

They never make money... Nor do they produce the 'output' claimed.