18 December 2021

That's ALMOST Good!

Refusing to inject insulin, I have been eating an "nearly zero carb" diet for two months now. I'll be having my "labs" taken by the Veteran's Administration 18 January and I'm crossing my fingers that my A1C will be below "7" on that date to surprise both me and my VA Doc. (My daily glucose numbers have been good for two months.)

Recipes for my new Keto diet include such exotic things as Allulose sweetener, Stevia, Almond and Coconut flour, Xanthum Gum, Flax seed, Egg White Powder, Black Sesame seeds, and several other things you may or may not heard of.
Sara Jean has spent almost two months poring over YouTube videos trying to find recipes that SOUND edible. And let me report to ya-
Some of 'em are. Some of 'em ain't.
Most of 'em fall somewhere in between. I can report THIS to ya:
Virtually all the recipes either taste a little eggy/funky, have "odd" textures, or suffer from both.
I've determined that if you eat SWILL long enough, after awhile swill begins to taste kinda normal. (Kinda!)

I still feel we are on the leading edge of a groundswell of people who in the near future will find out they are diabetic. And there will be MONEY to be made catering to this growing population of people whose glucose levels are too high. Where there is money to be made, that void will be filled.

Take a look next time you're in the grocery. There are already sections in the baking goods and freezer sections devoted to Keto friendly foods. "Keto" bread and "Rebel" ice cream are barely discernible from the normal items.

The neat thing for ALL of us is the experimentation that is being done by lots of folks trying to find recipes that are both tasty and low in carbohydrates. Check for yourself-
Put "Keto" in your search block on YouTube and look at the numbers of videos that appear.
You may not need it now, but...
You may benefit from all of 'em tomorrow.



2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good point... I'll try just about anything once, except kale... Nope, NOT trying that #@$!@$#!@ again!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I've been on a modified "keto" for four years escalating to nearly zero foods containing lectin. Before, I was diagnosed as borderline Type II and prescribed Metformin. Over time my A1C has dropped and Metformin decreased in stages. I now am off Metformin for six months and my A1C, while slightly elevated, isn't a concern.

Since I'm Type O, I can eat meat but my overall diet is bland and boring. I've trained myself to think of food as "fuel". What I miss is bread. Big puffy yeast and/or sourdough raised wheat bread. None of the bread made with Keto approved flour works for me.

Tomorrow will be my monthly lapse. Breakfast at the VFW. Hash browns with gravy, bacon and sausage, and french toast. My sister and our friends gather monthly. $9 a head with the profits going to help disabled service people.

Which brings a flickering thought about civil insurrection/rebellion. The VFW/AL/DAV is a source for unorganized militia. Yes, we are all well beyond our prime but our experience is wide and available in nearly every town and city in the country. We know how to "military", know organization, and can train civilians. Anyone who thinks those old pot bellied men and long in tooth women have forgotten how it is done have never watched a funeral honor guard in action in any cemetery in the USA.