21 June 2021

Life Throws A Curveball

 "AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!"

It's 0300 hours. I'm shocked awake and turn to find my wife sitting bolt upright in bed and confused, looking around the room as if something is threatening her.
This, obviously, is not a comfortable way to be awakened.

When he was 8 or nine years old our son went through a phase during which he had "Night Terrors". We'd hear him in the wee hours crying, and when we asked what was wrong he couldn't explain why he was upset.

Sara Jean has been having late-night hallucinations for some time. She awakens and imagines someone is standing at the end of our bed, or right beside her. Frightened, she screams and in doing so, wakes me.
We sort of equated her problem with our son's situation when he was young.

She's been sensing changes in her thought processes lately. She can't think of words, phrases, or memories to share during conversations. The problem, to her thinking, has accelerated during the last months. She has shared this with our Doctor and he has administered a simple test to check her for "mild cognitive impairment" then declared her normal. But over the last month SJ feels she has declined dramatically so we scheduled a new appointment. And at this time she finally shared the fact that she's been having these nighttime hallucinations.
"Hmmm. Sounds like 'Lewy Body'" he says, very casually.
I had never heard the term. And he said it so nonchalantly I brushed it off as no big deal.
It definitely IS a big deal.
Five to 8 years life expectancy, says the internet.
You may as well have come upside my head with a 2X4.

We've scheduled an appointment with a neurologist and won't know details until after meeting with her/him. In fact, the only way to know with certainty that someone has "Lewy Body Dementia" is after an autopsy.

But this changes everything.
ALL our retirement planning has been modified.
We are now looking at a serious "bucket list" and want to check off items on that list as quickly as possible while we both can share and enjoy them.

Life is short.
Don't be miserable.
It's a tremendous waste of time.

14 comments:

Green eyes, blue jeans & red high heels said...

I sat here slowly reading this so I didn't miss anything. After reading it once, I went back and read it again. I then just sat here trying to process this information. I've never heard of this condition before. How can we be 70ish and not heard of this?!
I'm still just sitting here dumbfounded - a word I've never used before. But it now fits perfectly. This is WAY more than a curve ball.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Damn, damn, damn!

Ed Bonderenka said...

My friend, you are in our prayers.
I await further information.

Greybeard said...

Thank you Ed. We need 'em and are glad to receive 'em.

hoosierboy said...

You are in my prayers, for what it is worth

Mommanurse said...

My heart is broken.

Old NFO said...

Prayers up for both of y'all.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear this. You and your wife are in my prayers.
CNF

Steve Skinner said...

I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s eight years ago so I have a feel for how life can change overnight. You are in my prayers!

Rain Trueax said...

So sorry to hear this. I don't know what age she is but there are cognitive impacts of menopause as well as aging. Hopefully, her situation is stress, which a lot of us are experiencing with things as they are. Still important to plan the things you want to do together.

Anonymous said...

Getting older is not for sissies. I have a similar story to tell in private. Bless you both,

Greybeard said...

I think that last comment is from my OCS Tac Officer.
If so... THANK YOU Walt!

Anonymous said...

It is.

Anonymous said...

Wow, long time since I’ve visited blogs from when we discovered one another’s! So sorry to begin here, but will continue to expect a positive outcome for “SJ”. I’ve heard about this type of dementia and will do further research for better understanding. I pray for the courage & strength you clearly possess to navigate this most challenging time. I know you will embrace it love and faith. I hope you will be blessed with breakthroughs of joy as you make the most of every precious moment!