14 November 2020

Monsters On Four Wheels

The GM/Ford/Chrysler horsepower race started in the early '60's.
"She's real fine my 409".
"....But parked in her rickety old garage is a brand-new, shiny red, Super Stock Dodge!"
"Hey little Cobra, don't ya know you're gonna shut 'em down?!"

Insurance companies had not yet awakened. Premium gasoline was $.35 per gallon.
And they drank it to the tune of 13 mpg, IF you were careful with your right foot.
But WOW... the sound! The feeling of being pressed into the seat.

Cars like the one in the video, (with just slightly less power), could be purchased at our local dealership.
Want a sense of that sound and fury?
Watch the video:




8 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

Kinda disconcerting. I remember being behind the wheel of my '63 Galaxy, But the wheel was on the other side as I recall.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I had a similar 1963 Galaxie 300 with a 427. Watching that video reminded me that they didn't corner very well but on the High Plains of Eastern Colorado, nothing could catch it. Had two accessories, windshield wipers (two speeds) and a heater. Per a Colorado State Courtesy Patrol (what it is was called then) two pneumatic tube speed trap, it hit 150 mph.

My father had a 1958 Ford 2 door, 3 speed O.D. with a 352. It was a special order police package and nothing could catch it.

Greybeard said...

Ed, it's an Aussie edition.
WSF- Was that "Go to jail" time?

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Didn't keep me in sight. About a hour later when I was pulled over my response was, "Who me?"
Scofflaw from an early age.

Old NFO said...

I drag raced a 63 lightweight with the 427, SCARY car!!!

Greybeard said...

At the Indy National drags my favorite cars were the "Thunderbolts", NFO...
Ford Fairlanes with the 427, hopped to the hilt.
Can ya imagine trying to herd one of those down the strip? ;)

Greybeard said...

https://indyrambler.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/53453775_10205830536278267_3827222637088604160_o.jpg?w=1000

Old NFO said...

The problem wasn't getting them off the line, it was getting them STOPPED on the big end! Sigh...