14 September 2008

Hurry Up And Wait

Once again I'm borrowing time on someone else's computer. I've decided I'll soon be investing in one of these new "mini" laptops, probably the one just being marketed by Dell.

I don't know why it wasn't obvious...
We're down here because of extreme weather, brought about by geography and environmental conditions. Why did I think once IKE was on the move we'd be able to fly around the clock to lend a helping hand?
We're dealing with several big bureaucracies and their individual chains-of-command to be tasked with moving a patient. The procedure itself takes hours, then we have to deal with weather, being able to complete the flight during normal hours required by Federal Aviation Regulations, and the amount of light available if we'll be flying into an area with tall, unlit towers.

So far, the extent of my duties has been to preflight, be briefed on mission and mission changes, then eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks in between. We are now eating ONLY because we are bored to tears.

There are thunderstorms in Houston and Galveston. It makes ya want to pull your hair out, knowing there are patients needing our help that we cannot fly because of factors totally beyond our control.
I WANT TO SCREAM.

I've been here four days and have yet to help a soul. This afternoon, (Sunday), looks ugly, and I'll probably run out of F.A.R. required duty time before it clears enough for us to head that way. Then comes that boogey man again... darkness.
Thank God for ground ambulances... I bet those folks are working their tushies off.
There are 15 medical helicopters on this ramp, Lord. Give us weather to do our jobs, please.

I'm taking pictures to share with you later.
I'll update ya when I can.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

GB --

Sometimes you just have to let go and let God.

Bless you!

Andrea

Detail Medic said...

With what they're showing on the news up here, I'm sure you'll be busy soon eough. Rest while you can. Take care of yourselves and pass on our well wishes!

nec Timide said...

I've got one of those new mini Dells on order for evaluation at work. Should be in in a week or so (they say), if you want to wait that long for my review.

nec Timide said...

Hey GB, just took delivery of the Dell Mini 9 today. I have posted my initial thoughs on my blog. I think you would like it, but if you have a Dell store near by you might want to see how your mits fit on the keybord.

nec Timide said...

There is a article on Slashdot.org indicating some lack of satisfaction with the Linux equipped netbooks. So if you decided to save some money, or just to move to the wild west of computing, you might want to test drive a Linux, specifically Ubuntu, equipped machine first.

If you are up to downloading and burning a compact disk you can try the Ubuntu Live CD here. A 'live' CD lets you run the operating system entirely off the CD without installing anything.

Or just buy the XP version.

Greybeard said...

Thanks man...
I'm perfectly comfortable with XP, and will probably buy one equipped that way.