28 September 2008

Destin, September 2008

We arrived late Friday night.
With a few hours sleep under our belts we drove to Pensacola to pick up my Mother, then picked up Big Bubba at the Pensacola airport. Mom will stay a couple days... that's as long as she wants to be away from her cat. Big Bubba will be here through Saturday morning.

This is a great time of year to be in the Florida panhandle. Days are in the mid-80's, nights in the low 60 degree range. There is no rain in the forecast for this week.

There is an obvious sign of our present economic troubles...
On our way to the grocery this evening, I counted 8 "For Sale" signs on condos in less than one mile, more than I've ever seen. Some of these units are new, bought by speculators at the top of the market a couple years ago. It may be YEARS before the market returns to that lofty range.

None of that matters to us though.
I have a meeting to attend here next Saturday after Big Bubba is on his way home. We have almost a week to enjoy the quiet time together here...
Kids are all in school, renters are scarce. No lines at restaurants, no traffic on the streets.
Perfect weather for sitting on the beach.
Wish you were here.

5 comments:

Epijunky said...

Try to enjoy it.

Believe me, I wish I was there.

CJ said...

Well, 80 is on the upper end of my comfort range. I'm a 75 degree girl myself.

But, living in a tourist town myself, I do know how you feel. Your town is yours again.

Up here in the UP of Michigan we're gearing up for a winter that is supposed to be cold and snowy.

Think about us while on the beach, okay?

cjh

Anonymous said...

.....so do I!!!!!!

Enjoy!!!! :))

OlePrairiedog said...

If I could afford gas for "Diddly Squat", I would join you. Enjoy for all of us.

cary said...

Great place to be with such wonderful weather!

Enjoy, and hugs to everyone from us.