25 October 2009

Top 40, News, Weather, 'n Sports!

A long time ago in a land far away I listened constantly to the radio and loved Gene Pitney. The DJ would cue up this tune, and after the first few bars...




I thought I was gonna hear this one:



Listen to the first 30 seconds or so of each and see if you agree. George Harrison was sued because the first three notes of "My Sweet Lord" sounded like the first three notes of The Chiffon's "He's So Fine". I'm surprised there wasn't a lawsuit over these tunes opening similarities!

4 comments:

cary said...

They are pretty close - and I am surprised there was no brou-haha about it!

CJ said...

I never realized how close they are. Which one came first?

cjh

Greybeard said...

Gene Pitney's "Twenty-four Hours From Tulsa" was 1963 CJ...
"Down In The Boondocks" came out in '65, the year I graduated High School.

CJ said...

Hmmm... Maybe the two year gap was the reason there wasn't a fuss? Either that or lawsuits didn't happen that often back then.

cjh