02 April 2024

This Happens Surprisingly Often:

"Wanta sell it?"
I smile. "No, it's not for sale."
We're talking about my '97 3/4 ton, extended cab, long bed, Cummins diesel truck. It has 278,000 miles on it and still runs like a sewing machine.

The research for the purchase began before my retirement in about 2008 or so.
I wanted a vehicle that could safely pull a Recreational Vehicle. A Pickup would fill that need  and the bed of the truck would provide utility even when not being used to pull the RV.
Being able to tow a heavy load meant I'd be limited to a relatively heavy truck (3/4 ton) with a BIG, powerful powerplant... diesel or gasoline? Diesel powered trucks get better fuel mileage, but that benefit is offset by the fact that diesel fuel is much more expensive than gasoline these days. But the reputation of the Cummins/Ram fascinated me.
I searched eBay for months and finally saw a truck that was almost exactly what I was looking for in Palm Desert, California. The young man selling it warned "If you live in California don't bid on this truck. I'm selling it because it will no longer pass California emission requirements". He listed all the improvements he had made to the truck, some of which improved performance but made it pollute more.
He had fixed the "Killer Dowel Pin" problem, which was one of my main concerns.
I won the auction at a selling price that surprised me and could sell the truck at any time for more than I paid for it, even though the truck is now (27 years) old.

It's been an interesting vehicle to own. About once every three months someone who knows these trucks will approach me with an offer to buy it.
The truck in the picture is a half-ton with a gasoline engine, but looks a LOT like my beloved truck.
I know you're envious.
Don't hate me




6 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

You have hit the sweet spot for Dodge. If your truck is an early model year you have a 12 valve with the improved 24 valve block and crank.

Early 24 valve engines had problems with any prolonged idling.

The 2nd generation 2002 had many quality problems. The metal used for the body was too thin and the roofs cracked. Someone had the bright idea of using plastic screws instead of metal. A common sight was headlights dangling from their wiring.

All the Dodge/Rams have expensive to repair suspensions and drive trains. The dealership I worked at sold about 300-400 used pickups, most 4wd, a year. Our typical cost to make "front line ready" was $800 Ford, $1200 GMC/Chevy and $2,000 Dodge.

Staring in 2019 when Chrysler started merging with Fiat, quality took a dump. It has gotten worse since Stellentis entered the picture.

I personally don't want anything made under the Stellentis umbrella, even as a gift.

Currently? If you want a 'boots on the ground' report watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJggNDhXCf8&ab_channel=PowerstrokeCentral

Greybeard said...

Mine IS a 12-valve 5.9 liter WSF.
Whether or not it's an early model year, I have no idea.
It gets 14mpg pulling our RV, which is pretty extraordinary for a truck this heavy.
The auto transmission on these trucks is an Achilles heel, so I immediately had it rebuilt.
And the dash is in a thousand pieces, covered with a "carpeting". Those problems are a small price to pay for a wonderful truck.
Many of the "experts" I watch on YouTube are saying Ford may FINALLY have caught up with the Cummins in vying for the "best" diesel on the market.
I'll stick with my '97.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

The 6.7 Ford will live forever if, and a big if, the emissions are reworked.Crankcase blow back is routed back into the intake air and turbo.

Current Cummins engines are losing some of their luster. The 3.0 Nissan played with is a disaster.

You being a long time practitioner of beating air into submission know the value of preventive maintenance - why you are still alive perhaps.

Greybeard said...

I suspect we just lost about 98.3% of our readers old friend.

Old NFO said...

LOL, I know what y'all are both talking about, and yes, those are the most reliable of the Dodge lineup. Today, not so much...

Greybeard said...

I can visualize a day when our helpful "betters" might restrict/increase the price of gasoline so much that it's virtually impossible to buy. But with most of our "stuff" still being moved by truck, Diesel will still be available.
And if necessary, peanut oil!