09 July 2009

Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep!



Note to my fellow employee:
Your popcorn may actually be done before the smoke alarm sounds!

3 comments:

cary said...

Rule Number Two: If you needed a fire extinguisher just before you say "Dinner's Ready" I'm eating at Denny's tonight...

cj said...

Oh, man. Just seeing the photo is almost enough to trigger a migraine - nothing stinks as badly as burned popcorn!

cjh

Jeff said...

Yep.. that would be mine...

This was also in the middle of an extremely cold part of winter, so opening the windows was not really a good option. Nevertheless, the smell was so bad that my (now) wife and I the next day turned off the heat, opened all the windows and bunkered in our basement with space heaters for about an hour (the temperature dropped to about 45 in our house during that time).

We tried all kinds of other concoctions to try and rid the smell, the best seeming to be something that sort of just masked it, which was boiling cinnamon sticks. The smell lingered in our house overall for about a week, our kitchen for a few months, and our microwave for probably a year. We seem to be through it now though.

The worst part was, I basically never made microwave popcorn, which is why this particular one had expired a year or two prior to the incident. I don't know what possessed me to make this popcorn then. Regardless of expiration, I'll never make microwave popcorn again.

And for the record, our smoke detector never went off (no clue why as it goes off with the slightest hint of any other smoke), and the popcorn was actually in the microwave for far less time than the package recommends (I had actually gotten back to it way way before the timer went off.) My own write-up of the incident is on my website.