01 January 2020

Is That All There Is?

My title is an old Peggy Lee song. Haven't heard it? Go look it up.

Retirement is... okay.
I loved my job and hated to leave it. But there comes a point (more than once in my case) where regulations have ruined things in my life, and I had to move on.
When you begin to feel like someone is constantly looking over your shoulder waiting for you to make a mistake so they can terminate you from the workplace, it's time to move on.
Luckily, "moving on" in my case meant I could REALLY move on.
I retired in 2013.

But I loved the old job and loved the satisfaction I felt from doing what I thought was "God's work" and receiving a paycheck for it.
I'm not certain I'm over it yet. But my dreams of work happen less and less during the night now, (and they were always stressful anyway so I'm glad!) And I finally realized sitting in a chair with the remote all my waking hours was going to add so many pounds to my frame it would kill me, so Sara Jean and I share a couple hours a day
walking/talking/listening to "Oldies Radio" to keep "Mr. Cardiovascular Problem" as far away as possible. (We recommend it.)

Three years now we've spent the Winter in the Phoenix area. It's obvious to us now why many come here as "Snowbirds". Once in a great while the temperature will reach 39 degrees F. But even then the temp will rise to the mid 50's during the day.
Rain? In the three+ months we were here last year it rained three days. And those days were not bitterly cold.
It's wonderful here during the Winter. But I am BORED STIFF. You can only ingest so much irritating news before either going crazy, or relieving stress by SHOUTING AT THE TV!
I've done a lot of shouting at the TV.

There was a "Jiffy Lube" coupon in the Sunday paper last year offering a semi-synthetic oil and filter change, up to five quarts, for $19.99. We "do-it-yourselfers" know that's a darned good deal.
So I took our son's truck and had the Jiffy Lube people do the job. While in the waiting room we noticed the "Help Wanted" sign on the front door, and I asked the manager, "Could I, as a Snowbird, apply"?
And he quickly said "Sure!"

So I stopped by that store last week, got a job application, filled it out, and turned it in the next day.
I hope for a response tomorrow.
How much work will they offer? How much will the job pay?
I don't really care.
I just want to do something... anything... that needs doin' and will put a smile on my face.

Wish me luck.

7 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

I can imagine.
Hope you get the job.
Prayers, in fact.

Greybeard said...

Thanks Ed.
I'm imagining the call:
"What was your salary on your last job?" :)

Old NFO said...

You'll do well, and ANYTHING to keep the boredom at bay... You could write a book, or three... Just sayin' :-D

Greybeard said...

Can I borrow an editor or two, Jim? :>)

The Old Man said...

Brother man, do your thing. But don't forget riding, range time, and volunteering with the American Legion. That and workin' for the Bosslady fills my time.

Greybeard said...

Thanks for the support Old Man.
I'm gonna do as much Patriot Guard riding as possible this year, so that touches two of your listed bases.
And there IS a firing range within easy distance.
That's a good suggestion too.

Les said...

Write the book! I went back to the beginning of your blog and it was really good reading, brought back a lot of memories. I have always been happy to see Life Flight show up, and enjoyed all of it. Best wishes.