27 February 2012

Back On Base

For 21 years I walked with nothing in my right hand, knowing I might have to use it.
Then in 1988 that concern pretty much went away.
Lately I've been using that right hand again... not a lot... but enough to remind me of the days when I kept it unburdened, all the time.

As we approached the gate at the Pensacola Naval Air Station I insured my headlights were dimmed, leaned forward, removed my wallet from my back pocket, and pulled out my ID card.
The guard at the gate looked at the card, handed it back, then saluted and said, "Have a good evening Major."


What a comfortable feeling.
Like being back with family.

5 comments:

Scotty said...

The guard at the gate looked at the card, handed it back, then saluted and said, "Have a good evening Major."

You'll not get that at Patrick AFB, where my wife and I frequent. The AP has been replaced by contract workers. Yup, in essence, "rentacops"! It's been that way for quite a while....

Greybeard said...

I think this guy might also have been a contract guard, Scotty, but former military.
I wonder if all military bases are moving to civilian security?
I bet our high-priority bases continue to have Military Police security to include the Gate Guards.

Old NFO said...

It is, isn't it...

Old NFO said...

Oh yeah, re the 'high-pri' bases, only the ones outside CONUS still have military guards.

Ed Bonderenka said...

Guess I'm dim.
From your bio I assumed you were a warrant officer at best.
Have a good evening Major.