22 May 2008

Confused?

Midway along my route to work, there is a small town with a couple stop signs, put there just to slow me down and make me consume extra fuel. At a corner where I make one of those stops I watched with interest as work was done to replace a Chinese restaurant with a Barbecue joint. In my youth I worked at/managed two different restaurants and heard over and over how, when opening a new eatery, you needed to have enough capital to keep the doors open for a year in order to establish a positive cash-flow. Four months after this Barbecue shop opened, I turned to take a look while stopped and had to pull into the parking lot so I could share this bit of irony with you:


Added as a clarifier:
I published this post as I was headed off to bed and realized I'd left a loose end...
Yes, the place is shuttered and closed for good. Wonder if someone would like to try a Chinese Restaurant on that site?

2 comments:

cary said...

obviously, an open-and-shut case of optimism gone awry...

Unknown said...

I was once told that the most risky business to establish and succeed is a restaurant. It must be true. I've seen so many come and go. It's almost a foregone conclusion.

Perusing your site, I see you were in my neck of the woods -- FLA. Glad you had nice weather. You timed it perfectly -- it's now turning into SUMMER! Hot!

And how about that Panera Bread place? Food is delicious and they play decent background music (classical), making it a very pleasant environment for catching up on email and blogs.

Glad your travels were safe and sound. With an added Huey treat along the way!

RadioPatriot