04 June 2020

The Apollo Missions


We're coming up on the 21st anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing on the moon. In Viet Nam when our team landed there, I looked up at the moon in awe and felt pride that I was defending a country that could accomplish such a feat.
We've just experienced the first "commercial" launch of a vehicle taking men into space to rendezvous with the International Space Station.

If you, like me, have an avid interest in history and how it relates to our lives today, I think you'll enjoy Bill Whittle's four-part series on how we... the USA, won the "Space Race" and got to the moon.
Click on the link above to see Part One.

I hope you enjoy the series as much as I did.

3 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I remember the moon landing. Back in college after the Army, working part time as a bag smasher for Braniff, we gathered in the break room watching a small black and white TV. Ramp rats, mechanics, managers and two flight crews were in the group. Lots of ribald comments but the quiet pride in that room was palatable. We need to get back to that feeling as a country.

Greybeard said...

I've told the story before and will repeat it here, WSF:
I had finished a day's flying in VN when we got the news Apollo 11 had landed successfully. It was an absolutely clear night, and I looked up in wonder at the moon from halfway around the world from home.
It made me even more proud to be serving my country.

Old NFO said...

It is a good one! Whittle does a good job with all of those.