10 October 2019

Hippies?

While we were in New York in May we went to see The Temptations "Ain't Too Proud" just off-Broadway. Our 36-yr old son sat alongside his parents and knew all the words to the songs.
And I remembered:
He grew up buckled into his seat in the rear in our car listening to "Oldies" or "Classic Rock" radio.
And we liked it LOUD.
On a road trip when he was about 13 or so he asked, "Mom, were you and Dad Hippies?"
And we LOL'd.

During the day I wore OD Green.
But after hours I wore Bell-bottom pants with flowers embroidered around the cuffs, and gave the "peace sign" to every motorcyclist I passed on the highway.

I'm glad to have lived that life.
I'd also bet he's glad he knows all the words to "Ain't Too Proud To Beg".

3 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

Good parenting.

The Old Man said...

My kids grew up listening to Weird Al, The Doors and some Grateful Dead. The only lullaby I knew the words to was "American Pie" - and they sang it to their kids.
Unfortunately my daughter has gone over to the country side......

Old NFO said...

LOL, yep our kids hve some 'strange' tastes in music compared to their peers... :-)