09 April 2019

Ambition/Motivation

For almost thirty years I held down two full-time jobs.
For almost twenty of those years I worked two full-time and one part-time job.
I was exhausted much of the time. But I LOVED the work.
Yeah, my family time suffered somewhat. But my family is now reaping the benefit of my past efforts.

I know there is always a "Back in my day..." factor, but I don't see many young people striving to succeed as I did.
In Arizona, "Help Wanted" signs were EVERYWHERE, while many intersections were occupied by folks with "Homeless and hungry" placards.

I know... I'm a dinosaur.
But I'm a very confused dinosaur.
Have we simply lost the ability to derive Joy from work?

5 comments:

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Age 74 and still working. Even when in the Army I found ways to make money. Thankfully my sons have a strong work ethic.

Greybeard said...

Our son too, WSF.
I've felt out of place in retirement. I'm reminded of Peggy Lee's "Is That All There Is?".
I think I found a part-time job in Arizona while we're there next Winter...
at "Jiffy Lube"!
(More comfortable with that than flipping burgers.)

Old NFO said...

Yep, we're dinosaurs... We actually aren't comfortable UNLESS we're working in some form. The 'kids' today by a large want money handed to them for doing nothing because they 'deserve' it... sigh

Ed Bonderenka said...

I mentioned this in two different venues reacting to an article regarding research that shows that youth are dissatisfied with low self-esteem.
all those participation prizes did nothing.
Earning your way and reaping the financial rewards also brings emotional rewards.
Leeching off mom and dad (and Uncle Sam) doesn't.

The Old Man said...

Bro, we are and may be the last large group thereof in the population. Most of us have ingrained this in our progeny and a few lucky ones in our grand kids. They will be the wise ones of the future - I can only pray there are enough of them.......